...ideas and encouragement from my corner of the world on homeschool, parenting, party planning and beyond...


Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Apple Chips

I am always looking for healthy, easy and affordable snacks for my boys. One of my new favorites is apple chips. I grabbed some apples at the Farmer's Market and used our dehydrator we purchased fairly inexpensively at Walmart to make these. This apple was a Granny Smith, but any type would work fine.

I used my peeler to core and my mandolin to slice the apple. I sliced them on the thinnest option.


I then layered the chips in the dehydrator. We got it to use for beef or deer jerky, but it has proved to be awesome for making dried other things as well.


I let these chips dehydrate overnight. It took around 14 hours for them to be completely crunchy.

 
The kiddos really enjoyed munching on these with sandwiches instead of greasy chips. I let them dip them in caramel and it made them extra yummy. I also served some the next day sprinkled with cinnamon and brown sugar and they were great as well. This method also works great for peaches and bananas.

No comments:

Post a Comment