...ideas and encouragement from my corner of the world on homeschool, parenting, party planning and beyond...


Saturday, July 26, 2014

St. Patrick's Day: Shamrocks & Sensory Play


I believe that each holiday, no matter how insignificant it may seem, can be an opportunity for learning. It is always interesting to me and my boys to learn about the many holidays that began as Christian celebrations and it can be a great opportunity to remind them about faith and how all we have comes from above.

For St. Patrick's Day, we took the opportunity to learn about St. Patrick. I used Christian Answers because I didn't know much myself, but we also checked out a few books from the library.

We talked about the shamrock and how it is an easy way to remember the trinity- God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. We used handprints to make shamrocks of our own.

We also made some sensory bottles just for fun. I died water green and let them each add oil and assorted other items as they wanted. I also attempted to dye some rice green, just by using food coloring, but it didn't quite turn out as dark as I planned, so I used other colors as well and made a rainbow rice bottle. The last bottle was made from water and hair gel and we added green pony beads as an "I spy" bottle.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment