...ideas and encouragement from my corner of the world on homeschool, parenting, party planning and beyond...


Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Oh gender stigmas...

As a Communication major in college, I remember being appalled at parents that wouldn't let their little boys play with dolls or have play kitchens or moms that stopped their little girls from playing with dump trucks. I just knew, in my infinite speech minor wisdom, that letting children of both genders play with whatever they wanted would make for better partners in the future and even more than that I just could not understand what the big deal was!

Now I have a little boy of my very own. He is my whole world and I only want what's best for him. So, I bought him a gosh darn play kitchen! Then it happened. We went to Walmart to buy the play food to go with it. So I find the food and it's in a bright pink plastic container with a giant picture of a little girl on the front. I found myself sneaking the food onto the bottom of the buggy. Then we get to the register and the cashier says "Is this for your little girl?" I let her know that it was, in fact, for my son, but I was embarrassed. Seriously! The woman that not two years ago was writing papers about gender roles was hiding play food under the buggy?

It made me realize how having a baby changes you. Even knowing what is best for him and being very firm in the beliefs and ideas that I have, it was really difficult to think about anyone thinking he was different from the norm. For a second, in the line at Walmart, it just seemed easier to just make sure he fit in. How funny it is that a love for someone else can make you question all that you know to be right. He will continue to play with his play kitchen and baby doll (ordered from eBay to prevent above scenario from happening again). I am just saying the kids at school one day better think he's awesome, play kitchen or not, 'cause I sure do. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment