...ideas and encouragement from my corner of the world on homeschool, parenting, party planning and beyond...


Monday, December 7, 2015

Around the World in 11 Days: Australia and India

For our class about Australia, we ate cookies shaped like kangaroos, made a kangaroo planter and a beach in a bottle.

 


For the planter, I printed the pieces I found here and adapted it to just use paper they could color instead of the craft foam. I let them draw on the face and then we used hot glue to put all the pieces together.


 

 
For the beach in a bottle, I purchased the 8 oz bottles of water. They got to take one big drink and then we used sand colored aquarium rocks (I originally planned to use sand, but it's really expensive to find in the off season, so the rocks did the trick.). We used a funnel to pour them in and then added a couple glittery fish foam stickers (with the paper removed). Lastly, we used food coloring to turn the water blue.





I also got them these boomerangs to take home.

In India, we ate yummy naan bread and learned that they have Bengal tigers.





I painted their hands orange and let them do their print. They then glued on eyes and drew stripes with a permanent marker.


We talked about Diwali and made paper lanterns. I modified this pattern and let them decorate them with markers before stapling
.

Lastly, we learned that there are 272 different species of snakes in India and made a quick paper chain snake.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment