...ideas and encouragement from my corner of the world on homeschool, parenting, party planning and beyond...


Thursday, April 4, 2013

Adventures in Preschool: Our Easter projects

My oldest just turned three and I am loving him being old enough to do fun stuff! I wanted to share our Easter projects with you.
 
I think my husband and I almost had as much fun as my toddler coloring eggs. When we were dating we always did fun holiday stuff and as married people, it is important to me that we still have fun together! These are our favorites:
 
This year, I found that coloring eggs does not last near enough time for a three year old. Plunking two dozen eggs into the dye and pulling them back out took him about ten minutes and he was ready for more! I was frustrated because it took me longer to put out the newspapers and get the dyes ready than it did for him to color them all. So, in saying that, I decided to let him also color the eggs I was going to use for Easter dinner. It really prolonged the experience because it took a little more soaking to get them colored (so we had a little lesson in patience) and he was happy to sticker the shell-on eggs while the peeled eggs were soaking. It was super fun and the next day it was fun for him to show everyone how he contributed to dinner.
 
 
I also loved this idea from one of my friends. They used a whisk to let the little ones color eggs and I just thought that was so cool (and much less messy!). We are definitely trying that next year!
 
 
 
This next project was not as three-year-old-friendly, but we happened to have some older friends on Spring Break this week to help out. I started this project by cutting wreath-size circles out of cardboard boxes. I then let them hot glue Easter grass on. Then we used foam shapes and glitter pens to decorate plastic eggs. They were then attached to the grass with hot glue. Lastly, I used a knife to cut the middle of the wreath out and attached ribbon at the top for hanging. This was a great project that they worked on for a couple of hours.
 
 
 
Lastly, I wanted to share our Easter bunny cake. There are lots of different ways to do this, but this one is just freestyled. My toddler is really into eating the legs, nose, arms, etc. off of his animal crackers and/or other assorted creature-shaped foods, so he especially thought it was fun. It made for such a fun centerpiece for the food table and was delicious to eat.
 
 
Happy Easter!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment