...ideas and encouragement from my corner of the world on homeschool, parenting, party planning and beyond...


Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Baby led weaning and how it works for me!

Everybody wants to know what you baby is eating, how much they're eating, if they can feed them, etc. etc. and then wants to give you advice on how to do it "the right way." This is not that post.

I read a book when my son was around one year old called Baby Led Weaning and it blew my mind! It sounds crazy, but these people were telling me to give my six month old a whole carrot and I thought it was a good idea.



To give a little disclaimer, this is not for everyone. Lots of people tell me I am crazy for doing this and I am not trying to create another aspect of mommy wars. It is working for my family and that is why we do it. Do what works for your family and know you are doing the right thing.

With that being said, I would love to share our adventure with baby led weaning with you.

My little one has just turned six months old and we are beginning to experiment with feeding. These mesh bags are our starting point. He has done whole carrots, celery, etc., but I also like the ease of these bags because whatever we are eating, I can place in the bag and he controls the feeding. I can put whole green beans, peas, bananas, strawberries, soft meats, anything really!



My other disclaimer would be the inevitable mess. I am an extremely laid back mom, so the mess doesn't effect me much, but if this is something you decide to try, know that your baby sucking blueberries through a mesh bag is not a very clean process and plan accordingly.

There is some great new research about delaying feeding and I love that we are just experimenting at this stage instead of forcing purees. I am excited to see where this journey takes us and hope you will follow along as we go!

1 comment: