...ideas and encouragement from my corner of the world on homeschool, parenting, party planning and beyond...


Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Yay for Cloth Diapers

When you tell someone who is not familiar with cloth diapers that you are going to CD your child, they are going to tell you you're crazy. I had people talk about me like I was the worst mom ever. What was I thinking using these old fashioned pins and clotheslines when we have "new and better" technology?

Well, friends, I don't use pins and I only use a clothesline when I want to and I am extremely happy with my decision to cloth diaper. This post is for the mamas that are interested, but overwhelmed and are hearing (or saying) the same negative things I heard.

There are several different reasons we decided to CD. The main one was financial, but I also like the fact that I am not putting thousands of diapers into a landfill every year. I would also like to mention the fact that my littles are not being exposed to chemicals found in disposable diapers, but that's another story. You can read more about it here. I also like that cloth is said to make potty training easier and the fact that I don't have to run out to the store at 9pm when we have one diaper left.

First, let me go through some diaper types with you, because if you start reading a CD blog, you are going to get overwhelmed trying to figure out what the heck they are talking about.

As with many aspects of being a mama, you will have to figure out what you like best. Personally, this is my favorite. I use one of these covers (the green part- mine are Flip) until it gets dirty or stinky, wiping it out after each change, and a prefold or liner (the white part). Both the prefold and the liner are good options for these. You just have to pick what works for you. What I like about this is the fact that I am only changing and washing prefolds and not an entire diaper every time.

 

 

 



 

Something else to look at is if the diaper is sized or one size. Another reason I like these Flip covers is because they are adjustable, using snaps, to grow with my baby. We did use newborn size covers and smaller prefolds at first, but after about ten pounds. these started working great for us.



My second favorite option is the pocket diaper. This is a diaper that has a pocket where you can place a prefold or liner. These don't have to have a cover over them, so once they are stuffed you are ready to wear.


The all-in-one diaper (AIO) is similar, but it is already put together for you so you just put it on and take it off when it's wet or dirty- just like you would a disposable diaper. Here is a huge selection from Diaper Parties.

The all-in-two (AI2) is only slightly different from the AIO in that the liner is snapped in or is sewn in at either end. This is a more detailed description from Diaper Parties.

Other than just trying to understand what the different types of diapers are, I also get questioned about how my diapers are stored and how to organize the extra amount of stuff.

I have a very inexpensive three-drawer cart stored in the nursery. I didn't straighten them up before I took these pictures, so this messiness is how they look everyday!

The top drawer is for my covers and inserts (and also assorted socks and baby legs).


 

The second drawer is for my prefolds.



And the bottom drawer is for my pockets, AIOs, etc.

 


I have a diaper can with an extra large wet bag in it where dirty diapers go. I also use cloth wipes, so they go in there as well. Expect a post about making these in the near future. :)



When I have a full can, I just take the bag to my laundry room and dump it in. I use a quarter cup of my homemade laundry detergent and dry everything except the covers, which I hang to dry.




I have loved this cloth diaper journey so far and hope you will too! Comment or message me with any questions or suggestions.

1 comment:

  1. GREAT info! Cloth can be daunting at first, but once you get the hang of the lingo, and find what works best for you, it is amazing!

    ReplyDelete