...ideas and encouragement from my corner of the world on homeschool, parenting, party planning and beyond...


Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Adventures in Preschool: Earth Day

I love to use Earth Day as an opportunity to teach my little ones about the world around us and ways we can take care of it. We actually made a week of Earth Day and did Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Repurpose projects.

Reduce: We are committed to reducing our environmental impact by growing some of our own food. I will have more gardening posts throughout the summer, but we got gardening season started by planting some seeds. This planter from the Lowe's Build and Grow clinic came at a perfect time.




Reuse: We reused pine cones from our yard to make bird feeders. This was a fun project and was age-appropriate for my three year old with a little help. I gave them plastic knives and a plastic cup of peanut butter and I attached a string to the top of the pine cones for hanging. They used the knife to spread the peanut butter on the pine cone. I then poured birdseed onto newspaper and they rolled their pinecones in it.

 


Recycle: I save our newspapers and cardboard to take to our local recycling center and my preschooler loves to help me. He really enjoys tossing our items into the appropriate bins and he understands that we take our used items there so people can make them into something new.

Repurpose: I save lids from Coca-Cola products for My Coke Rewards to get fun prizes for my boys and me, but those lids sometimes seem to take over my house! I am always trying to think of something to do with them and for our Earth Day (week) celebration, I thought it would be fun to use them to make caterpillars. I had my husband drill a hole in each of the lids. I then let the little ones decorate them with paint and string them together. If we did this again, I would probably use markers and glitter glue instead of the paint, but it made a fun little project and saved a few of those lids from going into a landfill.




Always remember, "We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."  -Native American Proverb

Happy Earth Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment